Visiting Alice Springs - What to See and Do
(Alice Springs Airport ASP, Australia)
An oasis in the midst of the outback, Alice Springs, or Alice as it is known by locals, blossomed when it became connected with the rest of the county in the early 20th century by the Ghan train line.
Surprisingly modern, Alice Springs is a historic town rich in Aboriginal heritage.
Ten things you must do in Alice Springs
- Bushwalk the many trails located around and about Alice Springs and gain a true appreciation of the diverse flora and fauna.
- Enjoy the scenic beauty of the Olive Pink Botanical Gardens, a popular place for hiking and picnics.
- Visit the Old Courthouse, built in 1928 and now home to the National Pioneer Women's Hall of Fame.
- Take a trip to the Stuart Town Gaol, the oldest building in Alice Springs.
- Trek to Ayer's Rock, officially known as Uluru, the largest rock in the world and a natural wonder.
- Clamber around lovingly restored trains at the Old Ghan Train Museum.
- Examine Aboriginal and contemporary Australian art at the Araluen Art Centre.
- Shake a leg at the annual Alice Springs Country Music Festival, featuring live music, dancing and plenty of refreshments.
- Shop for authentic Aboriginal arts and crafts along Todd mall in central Alice Springs.
- Take the kids to Alice Springs Desert Park, a popular wildlife park featuring breathtaking scenery and fascinating wildlife.